Archive | January, 2017

Basement finishing permits.

20 Jan

You should get permits when you do any structural framing, make any changes to Electric, Plumbing, or HVAC. When I say changes I don’t mean replacement of existing I mean adding something new or moving something to a new location.

Yes if you finish your basement and get those permits, your taxes will go up for the additional living space in your home. If you don’t get the permits and you have a flood from plumbing failure or fire from electrical failure in the newly finished basement, your insurance company isn’t going to cover you because the permits weren’t pulled.

When finishing a basement you need a structural permit for framing, Electrical permit, HVAC, and Plumbing if you are doing anything to do with any of them. Costs will vary but in Dayton Ohio it is typically in the ballpark of $600 for all. You just go to your local building/zoning office in your city, county, or township. Provide them with a set of plans for the basement that you can draw up yourself, fill out their application then wait for approval.

Once your framing and fire blocking is complete, Electric, Plumbing, and HVAC are roughed in  then you can call for all rough inspections. After you pass those inspections you are free to complete the basement, then you call for final inspections upon completion.

You will have piece of mind that you did it right or if you hired someone they did it right. You will get credit for the finished basement when you sell the home and your insurance will cover you if there is a problem. Good Guy Home Improvements LLC absolutely loves to finish basements! If you are thinking of finishing your basement I would love the opportunity to meet you and provide you with a free estimate. You can call me at 937-689-1635 or email me at